We had our Piece MODERN reveal this past Thursday. I shared some observations of how modern quilt tops are pieced, some of the terminology I’ve heard. Here’s the pdf handout ModernQuiltSettings and quilt pics to go along with it Setting, might not mean much without explanations. We learned about alternate grids, inflow, negative space, no borders, etc. Melanie and I finished our blocks into quilts. Hers has a lot of inflow, which disguises the block shapes, and some wonderful circular quilting.
I sewed mine into a tablerunner shape.
Carole used one particular block as her key and recreated the design in the quilt top. Can’t wait to see how she quilts it!
The rest of them I’m sorry I don’t whose they are as the owner wasn’t in the pic. There were some fantastic blocks, how fun to see them all.
That’s Barb’s hand showing us the ‘sidewalk’ in front of the ‘house’. She had another ‘house with a chimney’, ‘flying geese’ and a ‘sun’.
No, I did not change the camera settings to Black and White. This color palette was so different from all the others but it’s easy to see it’ll be a striking quilt.
Kathy was sharing her setting fabric options.
They were also kind enough to be my guinea pigs on a new recipe, Blueberry zucchini cake with lemon buttercream. For those that asked, the recipe is below. It was fun ladies, thank you for playing! Virginia
Blueberry zucchini cake with lemon buttercream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2.25 cups sugar
- 2 cups shredded and drained zucchini
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- .25 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3.5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- .125 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake pan.
- Grate zucchini and place in clean dish towel. Squeeze until most liquid comes out.
- In large bowl and using hand mixer, beat together eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Fold in zucchini.
- Slowly add flour, salt baking powder and baking soda. Gently fold in blueberries. Pour in pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes til knife comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Combine butter, sugar and salt and beat till well combined.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and bat another 3-5 minutes or until creamy.